top of page

How to Empower Women Black-Owned Businesses Through Marketing

Empowering women black-owned businesses through marketing is all about giving black women entrepreneurs and businesses the tools and knowledge needed to succeed. Ruth Sherrill Marketing Services is a black woman owned and operated marketing agency and we love to create content by black women business owners FOR black women business owners. So let's get into it, here are five ways you can empower your businesses through marketing.


2 bipoc women podcasting about ways to empower women black owned businesses through marketing

1. Showcase your uniqueness.

As a woman black-owned business, you have a unique perspective and story to share. Use that to your advantage in your marketing! Share your origin story. What made you want to start your business? What was the industry missing that motivated you to begin? Not only is this a great way to create engaging content, it also highlights what makes you different. For example, if you're a black woman who founded a natural hair care business, share your journey to embracing your natural hair and how that led to your business idea. Consider learning more about the know, like, trust method and use this marketing technique to connect with your audience.


HBO's Insecure with Issa Rae and best friend. two black women business owners collaborating together

2. Collaborate with other black-women owned businesses.

Say it with me: COMMUNITY. Building relationships with other women black-owned businesses can be incredibly powerful for your marketing efforts. Partnering with others can help you reach a larger audience and build a sense of community. For example, if you run a fashion boutique, consider partnering with a black-owned makeup artist for a joint event or promotion. It is possible that your brands have similar audiences and it would be a great win-win to build this relationship and gain new eyes on your business in an organic way.


BIPOC woman using cell phone to leverage social media. One of those ways you can empower women black-owned businesses through marketing

3. Use social media to your advantage.

Social media is an incredibly powerful tool for marketing your business. Use platforms like Instagram and Facebook to showcase your products or services, share your story, and connect with potential customers. Be sure to use hashtags that will help your content get discovered by your target audience, such as #blackownedbusiness or #womeninbusiness. Keep in mind that it takes two to tango. In order to use social media to your advantage you have to follow the 80/20 content rule. 80% of your content must be sharing value, information, or interactive ways to engage with your audience. The other 20% can be promotional and sales driven.


a woman sitting on a couch, looking into a camera smiling. Displaying how influencer marketing can empower women black businesses owners through marketing by leveraging the influencer community.

4. Leverage influencer marketing.

Influencer marketing can be a great way to get your products or services in front of a wider audience. Look for influencers who align with your brand values and reach out to them about a potential collaboration. For example, if you run a fitness studio, consider partnering with a black fitness influencer to promote your classes.


a diverse group of women standing together and smiling. Diversity and inclusion is a great way to empower women black-owned businesses through marketing because it creates visibility and accessibility.

5. Prioritize diversity and inclusivity.

As a woman black-owned business, it's important to make diversity and inclusivity a priority in our marketing efforts. This means being intentional about the images and language we use in marketing materials, as well as ensuring that all products and services are accessible to a diverse range of customers. For example, if you sell clothing, make sure you offer a range of sizes and feature models of different skin tones and body types in your marketing campaigns.


Empower Women Black-Owned Businesses Through Marketing

Empowering black women-owned businesses is an important step towards creating a more just and equitable society. By supporting our businesses, we can promote economic growth, diversity, and inclusivity, while also creating role models and supporting our local communities.


At RSMS we help black women entrepreneurs by targeting their ideal audience, establishing their value proposition and creating meaningful channels for the purpose of relationship building and connecting. This is a curated and inclusive group that helps service based clients with business development and growth. Keep up with us on our socials by following us on Instagram, Pinterest, and TikTok!



24 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page